Renesas Electronics ISL8282M 15A Hybrid Digital Buck Module
The Renesas ISL8282M 15A high-efficiency hybrid digital step-down power module features a digital PMBus interface with proprietary Renesas R4TM technology. The ISL8282M supports a wide input voltage range of 4.5V to 16.5V and an output range of 0.5V to 5V. The device is capable of delivering up to 15A of continuous current and is optimized for high power density.
The ISL8282M is optimized for high power density with up to 95% conversion efficiency and an integrated LDO for single supply operation. The device provides SMBus / PMBus / I 2 C interfaces for device configuration, telemetry (V IN, V OUT, I OUT and temperature) and fault reporting. The ISL8282M features four 8-bit configuration pins that allow flexible configuration options such as frequency, V OUT and AV gain without the need for built-in NVM memory.
Other features implemented by the ISL8282M include remote voltage sensing and precision enable inputs. Remote voltage sensing completely eliminates any potential differences between remote and local grounding, improving regulation and protection accuracy. The precision enable input coordinates the startup of the ISL8282M with other voltage rails and is especially useful for power sequencing.
The ISL8282M significantly reduces design complexity and board space by integrating all power supplies and most passive components. The ISL8282M is available in a low profile, thermally enhanced 12mm x 11mm x 5.3mm HDA package.
• Proprietary Renesas R4 technology
o Linear control loop for optimal transient response
o Variable frequency and duty cycle control during load transients for fastest response
o Inherent voltage feedforward of the inherent input
• Input voltage range: 4.5V to 16.5V
• Output voltage range: 0.5V to 5V
• ±1.5% load/line/temperature regulation with remote sensing
• Support all ceramic solutions
• Integrated LDO for single input track solutions
• SMBus / PMBus / I 2 C compatible up to 1.25MHz
• 256 boot voltage levels with configuration pins
• Seven switching frequency options from 300kHz to 1MHz
• PFM operation options increase light load efficiency
• Boot to precharge load
• Power Good Monitor for Soft Start and Fault Detection
• Comprehensive fault protection for improved system reliability
o Over temperature protection
o Output overcurrent and short circuit protection
o Output overvoltage and undervoltage protection
o Turn on remote sensing protection
o Input UVLO and power sequence, fault reset
• Compatible with Renesas PowerNavigatorTM software
• Thermally enhanced 12mm x 11mm x 5.3mm HDA package
• Industrial / Medical
• FPGA / DSP / Graphics Card
• Test and measurement
Typical application circuit